Thanet Bowls Club 01843 594804

 AGM Minutes … November 24th 2014



  1. Welcome. President Win File Opened the meeting, welcomed the 49 members in attendance and wished good luck to Len Davis, incoming President, for 2015.

  2. In Memorium. A moments silence was observed in memory of our dear departed friends, Ruby Pearson and Vic Burnett, who sadly passed away this year.

  3. Apologies for Absence were received from Paul Brown, Jenny Brown, Melvyn Robinson, Dennis Franklin, Peter Britton, Liz Allison, Mike Ashley. (Proxy Voting forms were competed)

  4. The notes of the 2013 AGM and the matters arising were agreed as a true and accurate record. Nominated Mike Higham Seconded Richard Williams

  5. The Chairman's / Secretary's report is attached (Attachment 1)

  6. The Treasurer's report reflected on a sound fiscal performance in the last year. The report is attached. (Attachment 2)

  7. The Men's Captain's report is attached (Attachment 3)

  8. The Ladies' Captain's report is attached (Attachment 4)

  9. The Competition Secretary's Report is attached (Attachment 5)

  10. Social Committee Report is attached (Attachment 6)

  11. Appoint Committee/Officers. The following roles were uncontested and thus the following are appointed for 2015. President Len Davis; Treasurer Genny Piper; Secretary Steve Smith; Men's Captain; Richard Williams; Fixtures Secretary Alison Manby; Social Sub-Committee Ray Clay & Christine McColm (join Doreen Warner and Joyce Luke)

    Members were asked to cast votes for the following roles as they signed in. Votes were counted by Alison Manby and Joyce Luke. The successful nominees are those in bold and named first.

  • Ladies Captain nominees - Kath Higham & Genny Piper.

  • Ladies Vice Captain – Chris Fearn & Geraldine Davis

  • Men's Vice Captain – Rob Knowles & Alex Grant

  • Competition Secretary – Chris Fearn & Rob Knowles

  • Men's Elected Selector – Mike Higham & Ray Clay

The role of Ladies Elected Selector was voted for after the primary vote as two of the three nominees could be elected to the selection committee through selection as the Ladies Captain or Vice Captain. Kath Higham (Ladies Captain) was thus excluded and the Ladies Selector vote restricted to Geraldine Davis and Win File. Win File was voted in as Ladies Elected Selector.

  1. Appoint Account Examiner. Alison Manby was appointed as the Account Examiner for 2015 having done an excellent job in this role in 2014. Nominated Mike Higham Seconded Richard Williams

  2. Right To Bid Nomination. Officers from the Department for Communities and Local Government have written to bowls clubs, and other sports and recreational clubs that “enhance the social wellbeing of an area”. They have informed us that we may apply for a 'Community right to Bid'. If secured this will mandate a moratorium of 6 months in the event that the club owners, (Thanet District Council in our case), decide to sell the property. The purpose of the moratorium would be to enable club members and supporters to try to secure funding and enable them to purchase the club themselves. The permission of the AGM was sought to provide names and addresses. TDC have confirmed that they would not share the list in any way with third parties. The meeting agreed with a few exceptions who asked that their names be excluded. Nominated Mike Higham Seconded Richard Williams

  3. Split Step Tennis Coaching Proposal. The meeting was informed of a proposal put to us by a professional tennis coach - Melanie Hill. The TBC committee have reviewed the proposal and recommend that we proceed for an initial trial period. The Tennis coaching company is a profit making business called Split Step. MH approached us towards the end of the season having noticed how underused the courts were and seeing an opportunity for herself, the club and for local aspiring tennis players. In essence the Split Step proposal is as follows:

  • Split Step's intention is to provide coaching for tots (3+), juniors and adults

  • A typical session would be for 6 – 12 players, last 1 hour and cost £6 pp

  • Split Step would pay a booking fee to the club for the court hire + 10% of their coaching fees. Split Steps own estimate would indicate an income to us of £75 per week over the winter months increasing over the summer months. Although the expectation of your committee is that that is probably optimistic and it would take some time to build up before it would approach that level...but if Split Steps plans takes off and build there is certainly the potential to meet or even exceed this.

  • During the winter coaching would be timed to coincide with short mat or card playing periods...i.e. when the club is open anyway...we don't propose to open specifically to accommodate tennis coaching.

  • In return for the fee TBC would manage the bookings and allow the tennis players to use the club toilets.

  • TDC have been contacted and no objections to this


A number of considerations/concerns were openly discussed. Issues included Security,Club Identity, Car Parking, Tea and Coffee, Disruption during matches & the availability of courts to other local tennis players. Many of these aisseus having already been discussed in earlier meetings whereby some reassurance could be provided.


A vote was taken after the discussion and it was agreed that we should proceed for a trial period with a review prior to the new season commencement. Nominated Bob Norman Seconded Mike Higham


  1. Any other Business.

    1. Bob Gentry proposed that the handicapping system should be modified to reduce the length of games that can arise with the current system. Bob's proposal was that the difference of the two allocated handicaps be calculated and then taken away from 21 to generate a lower target score for the bowler with the lower handicap. In response Steve Smith indicated that the committee discussed this proposal earlier in the year and the committee decided to retain the current procedure but with a maximum handicap of 8.

    2. Bob Norman expressed his concern that during the past season, (I think on two occasions), bowlers were asked to vacate their position in a Catherine Wheeler match as it was about to start, to accommodate a bowler who felt aggrieved at not having been selected. Steve Smith pointed out that this matter had already been raised in a committee meeting, and was presented in the secretary's report and that the committee had stressed that such changes are entirely inappropriate and must not be made again.



AGM 2014 Attachment 1. Chairman / Secretaries Report (Steve Smith)

Firstly a massive thank you to Win as she concludes her year as President. Win's has demonstrated an unerring instinct for the right thing to do or say and frequently brought the rest of us, well me anyway, back into line when we stray from the point. Win gives Len a high bar to measure up to. Also huge thanks to Mike and Doreen who are not standing for re-election to vice-captain roles this year, but who performed so well last.


A few more thanks and like last year I'm naming no names as I'd be sure to forget someone. In no particular order I want to thank all those members who go the extra mile for the club and who ….. manage the competitions & club matches; do the teas and catering; manage the office; manage the bar, maintain the club and grounds; keep our finances in order; select the teams, coach the newbies, link us in with KCBA and ITBA and of course those who work very hard as part of your committee. These folk give up their time to undertake work without which this club would fold and they genuinely deserve my and your thanks and a round of applause. If you don't already number yourself amongst them … well firstly thanks for joining and bowling with us that in itself is great but please do ask yourself if you can contribute further. All our circumstances are different and yours may not be as flexible as you would like but please do whatever you can. If you can support the tea rota, do an office duty, or maybe share an office duty or just stand in when one of the regulars is on holiday ... please do it all helps and it all matters.


Any club is only as good as the sum of it's parts....and I can only think that we have some pretty good parts as between us we have built the very best bowls club in Thanet. A bold statement! But I can justify it!!

  • Our membership grew in 2014...how many of our neighbours wish they could say that??

  • Three times every week our morning roll ups attract 20+ members and provide bowling that is surpassed only by the banter and the fun....and do bare in mind that some clubs locally don't even bother to open in the morning!

  • Our green is not just the best in Thanet … it's the best I've ever bowled on.

  • This year we won the Catherine Wheeler League. A mixed triple league and a great measure of the depth, breadth and quality of bowling in our ranks.

  • The County came here for the unbadged singles finals and semi's and praised not only our green and our facilities but to me more importantly our members and the welcoming atmosphere we created.

So as I say … beyond question … the very best bowls club in Thanet.


There are a few issues that arose during the year and which I've been asked to raise.


Last year we diligently applied our Team Selection Procedure which in essence says that we will select the best team we are able for competitive matches and give priority to others in friendly matches. The intention is to be fair to all and maintain a good balance between competition and fun. More members plus our best competitive season for ages as a club is testament to the success of this approach.


There have been occasions when individuals disagree with the selectors, inevitably because …. we are all passionate about our sport …. because selection decisions however honourable or well intentioned are subjective .… and because they result in some members, who of course want to play, being made subs or even left out. All I can say to those who have felt aggrieved is this. Team selection is one of the toughest roles in the club. If you don't believe me try being a selector for a year. If you are uncomfortable with a selection by all means talk to your Captain. Bearing in mind of course that the decision was not his or hers alone...it was made by your appointed committee. So yes raise your concern, make your point but please don't pressurise your Captain to alter the agreed selection, and please in particular don't do so on the day of a match as this impacts unfairly on others asked to step down at the last minute. Such changes will not be made in furture.


Your committee had several discussions on the subject of dress code this year. I think it's fair to say that most bowlers observe the dress code diligently. There were however a number of reports this year of members wearing inappropriate clothing. So this is a simple reminder that we do ask everyone to observe the dress code, we all know it. And if on occasions that's not an option you should only play on one of the outside rinks.


Last year in order to save time and money and in light of the limited practical use that we saw for them we decided not to issue membership cards. Many members were unconcerned but a few felt strongly that they should be issued. The time and cost associated with their production is not great and on balance therefore we have decided that we will issue membership cards for 2015.


I want briefly to mention our Lottery. The new lottery period starts on the 29th Nov. Numbers cost £1 each per week and are sold in blocks of 20 weeks. A number in the forthcoming lottery period will therefore cost £20 and gives you the opportunity to win every week. The winner is the owner of the number that corresponds to the bonus ball in the main lotto draw each week. Weekly winnings will depend on how many numbers are sold, but If all 49 numbers are sold the winner each week will collect £30 and the club will benefit to the tune of £19. Numbers are still available and it would be great to sell them all so please dig deep and join in. If you already have one number, you are of course able to purchase more at this stage.


Finally it wouldn't be me if I didn't take the opportunity to plug the website. I have been continuing it's development throughout the year so as well as the original pages about our fixtures, venue maps, social calendar, etc there are some new pages I've added. For example if you want to find out about the Isle of Wight trip, see the photos of our colourful final day roll up or from the presentation dinner there all there for you at the click of a mouse. thanetbowlsclub.co.uk.


Your Committee continues to work tirelessly on your behalf. We meet regularly and together do our very best for the club. If you do have any concerns please let us know. I promise we will listen and do what we can to resolve them. Talk to your Captain, to me or any other member of the committee.



Attachment 2. Treasurers Report (Genny Piper)

The Club welcomed 96 Full Members this year, including the Juniors.


The accounts show a deficit of £452. For the year, which is £678 less than last year. The differences may be easily seen from the Accounts which show the current year and last years figures side by side.


The Bar and Catering each make a considerable income for the Club throughout the year. The regular Social Events in the winter continue to be enjoyed by participating Members and Guests and bring in regular income for the benefit of the Club.


The cost to maintain the ‘ green’ for the year £ 9,208, almost identical to the cost last year Money well spent I am sure everyone agrees.

Everyone is to be congratulated for their generosity in contributions made to the Hospice and Macmillan Nurses in memory of Ruby Pearson.


I consider the Club to be in a very strong financial position, with funds available, if necessary, for any unforeseen expenditure.


If any Member wishes to discuss the detail of the accounts I will be available to advise you at the end of the meeting. Thank you.


Attachment 3. Captains Report (Richard Williams)

The club had a very successful season. In the Premier League TBC came 4th and in the friendly games we held our own. The highlight was the club winning The Catherine Wheeler League, for the first time, by 16 points. I would like to thank the gardening party for all the hard work they have and are doing all year. John Gillman will be leaving us and going to St. Lawrence bowls club. I and Thanet Bowls Club wish him all the best. Thank  you all for your support and I look forward to bowling with you all next season.


AGM 2014 Attachment 4 Ladies Captain's Report (Kath Higham)

In the Ladies League we played 18, won 7, lost 9 and drew one. We had to struggle in some games but the ladies tried very hard and I thank them all.


In the Molly Cleggett versus Canterbury on 1 July the home team lost and the away team won. Canterbury had very strong teams and we did very well to win the away game.


 We played nine friendly games winning five and losing four with one cancellation. All of the games were very enjoyable. We took a coach to Manor house and had a lovely afternoon friendly with strawberry teas afterwards.


I would like like to thank all of the ladies for supporting me and let's hope for another really good season next year


AGM 2014 Attachment 5 Competition Secretary's Report (Chris Fearn)

I'd like to thank all the people that entered the competitions this year. We would like to see more ladies entering next year. Evidently there has been a lot of moaning about the handicap competition, but not to me so the committee have decided for next season that the highest handicap will be 8. Thanks to all the people that helped on finals day. It was very much appreciated by the committee.  Next year's finals will be over the weekend of the fifth and sixth September. If enough competitions are played it will be over two days, if not just one. Other suggestion please let the committee know.


AGM 2014 Attachment 6 Social Sub-Committee Report (Doreen Warner)
Social events last year were fairly well supported after much encouragement from Richard. Mainly by the same members each time. The Christmas party only had the support of 30 people. The buffet was enjoyed by everyone as usual. We have therefore given the Christmas party a miss this year. We have tried different types of entertainment over the years from duos to CDs being played. The only parties that have gone well is when we had a duo who sang and played live music to suit our club. This couple were more expensive than recent years but many of the long-standing members may agree they gave us what we wanted for a good evening. All costs are usually covered by the ticket price I would just like to say it is people that make a good party, so if there are members who have new ideas that would suit our Club please give suggestions to the committee. I would like to thank everyone involved in the social events programme.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Thanet Bowls Club


Minutes of Management Committee Meeting. Tuesday 13th January 2015. 7pm


Attendees:- S Smith; L Davies; G Piper; A Manby; C Fearn; K Higham; R Knowles; D Warner;

R Williams


Apologies for Absence:- None


Invited Attendees:- None


The notes of the previous meeting and the AGM were accepted.

  1. Action Log – Review Status of Existing Actions

    1. The action log was reviewed and updated to indicate completed actions and the status of those which are still underway.

  2. TBC Internal Communications / Matters Arising

    1. There has been no response from Melanie Hill of Split Step to the TBC proposal regarding the tennis coaching partnership arrangements.

    2. The committee have been informed that a pair of tree loppers, that were donated to the club by a member, have recently been stolen from the gardening/maintenance shed. The possibility that someone has “borrowed” the loppers could not be excluded, but if so this was done without the permission of the committee and they have not at this stage been returned. Members are reminded that club equipment is not available for loan.

      The committee are exploring ways to increase the security that we maintain over these items.

    3. The Honours Boards will be updated prior to commencement of the outdoor season.

  3. External Communications

    1. Alison Manby and Mike Higham have agreed to continue as the two contacts with the Catherine Wheeler League. A copy of the meeting notes from the 2014 Catherine Wheeler AGM are attached for information.

  4. Treasurer's Report

    It was decided that the members contributions to green fees and the club subsidies to support these will remain unchanged for the 2015 season. A review will take place at the conclusion of the 2015 outdoor season and any change that is proposed will be presented to the AGM.

  5. Men's Captain's Report

    Nothing to report

  6. Ladies's Captain's Report

    Nothing to report

  7. Social Sub-Committee Report

    Nothing to report

  8. Competition Secretary's Report

    Nothing to report


  1. Secretary's Report

Nothing to report

  1. Any Other Business

    1. The committee were informed that Dane Park have withdrawn from the Ladies' League

    2. It was agreed that Captains will establish the green fees levied by other clubs in order that TBC may charge those clubs similar fees when we play home matches against them.

    3. The 2015 signing on meeting will be held at 7pm on the 24th March. Membership Cards will be made ready for distribution at the meeting.



  1. Date of Next Management Committee Meeting.

    The date/time of the next meeting will be Tuesday 10th March 2015 at 7pm.


+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Thanet Bowls Club


Minutes of Management Committee Meeting. Tuesday 31st Mar 2015. 7pm


Attendees:- S Smith; A Manby; R Knowles; D Warner; G Piper; R Williams;



Apologies for Absence:- K Higham; C Fearn; L Davies


Invited Attendees:- Alex Grant (in his capacity as Vice President IOTBA)

The notes of the previous meeting and the AGM were accepted.

  1. Action Log – Review Status of Existing Actions

    1. The action log was reviewed and updated to indicate completed actions and the status of those which are still underway.

  2. TBC Internal Communications / Matters Arising

    1. Steve and Alison will attend a fundraising workshop to better understand the options that may arise to support future projects to improve the club and or grounds.

    2. The visitors cabin has been restored by the maintenance team following problems with the floor, and is now once again in a safe and serviceable condition.

    3. The option to develop a toilet/washroom facility for disabled bowlers has been visited previously but without a successful outcome. It was decided that this project should be pursued further. Planing options will be discussed reviewed.


  1. External Communications

    1. Alex Grant informed the committee of the main proceedings of a recent IOTBA meeting.

      1. IOTBA would like to secure support for a Mixed Rinks Knock Out competition in 2015. The format would be 2 fours each team comprising 2 men and 2 ladies, (i.e. a total of 8 players). One team would play at home and one away (ala. Bert Cox Cup). One entry per club. The committee will establish the appetite of the membership to support this initiative. No entry Fee & matches to be played by agreed “Due Dates”

      2. Teams may play with a minimum of 5 players in the Combination League, but will be referred to the committee if they do so on 2 occasions. The rule change does not make it clear what will happen if a team then turns up with 5 players again. Committee discretion??

      3. Teams who return match sheets late will forfeit a league point each time they do so.


* IOTBA Minutes and Revised Rules are posted with these minutes for your further reference.

  1. Treasurer's Report

    Genny provided the committee with a financial summary that indicates our finances to be stable and secure. An increase from £200 to £423 in cost invoiced by TDC has been queried by Genny as it has not, as yet, been justified.

  2. Men's Captain's Report

    Nothing to report

  3. Ladies's Captain's Report

    Nothing to report

  4. Social Sub-Committee Report

    The 2015 Xmas Party will be held on 19th December. Entertainment will be provided by a singing duo who have been well received in the past. ... Vic and his partner.

  5. Competition Secretary's Report

    Nothing to report


  1. Secretary's Report

  1. Signing On Day proceeded with a better than normal attendance that saw over half of the 2014 membership turning out on the day to renew. The anticipated 2015 membership is similar to that of 2014.

  2. An Office Duty rota has been developed. This relies very heavily on the same members who gave such great support last year. I'd like to thank all who have stepped up to this plate again as well as the further support offered by the new names on the list. Weekend afternoons continue to be poorly covered....can you help?

  3. An opportunity to refresh the shield and Viking Ship motif above the Clubhouse door is being pursued.

  1. Any Other Business

      On behalf of the many TBC bowlers who competed indoors this winter Steve thanked Alex Grant for his management of, and dedication to both the A and B teams. Likewise Alex thanked all of the indoor bowlers for their support.



  1. Date of Next Management Committee Meeting.

    The date/time of the next meeting will be 5th May 2015. (Revised to 12th May)

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Thanet Bowls Club


Minutes of Management Committee Meeting. Monday 18th May 2015. 5pm


Attendees:- S Smith; A Manby; R Knowles; G Piper; R Williams; K Higham; C Fearn; L Davies


Apologies for Absence:- D Warner Invited Attendees:- None

The notes of the previous meeting were accepted.

  1. Action Log – Review Status of Existing Actions

    1. The action log was reviewed and updated to indicate completed actions and the status of those which are still underway.

  2. TBC Internal Communications / Matters Arising

    1. Steve and Alison provided feedback following their attendance at a fundraising workshop held in the Thanet Council Offices in Margate. The majority of attendees, and thus the focus of the fundraising advice, was devoted to development projects rather than capital projects, (e.g. to getting more young people involved in a given activity, rather than securing funding to build an extension to a clubhouse). Unfortunate as our primary fundraising drive was to secure funding for a disabled toilet facility this bias was not helpful. There was minimal beneficial advice provided although a summary of the most important factors to include in a bid was helpful.


Melvin Robinson has kindly agreed to produce 2 brief outline drawings to represent two alternative development opportunities a) to provide a disabled toilet facility and b) to add a joint disabled toilet and visitors changing facility.


    1. The committee thanked Ray Clay for manufacturing a new County Honours Board. The board will be used to honour TBC members who have secured County Honours from 2000 onwards.

    2. A TBC Memorial Trophy will be secured and offered as an annual prize in a competition the details of which have yet to be determined. As the name implies the TBC Memorial Trophy will be presented to honour members who have passed away.

    3. The collection for the Pilgrim's Hospice in memory of Barry Bradley has been very well supported. Money has been raised by a combination of member donations and the sale of bowling items that Zanda, (Barry's wife), donated to the club for this purpose. A cheque for will be provided to Zanda who will pass it together with other funds raised by herself to the hospice. Thank you to everyone who contributed once estalished the amount collected will be posted on the noticeboard.

    4. The Presidents Trophy has not been engraved since 2011. This oversight will be rectified.

    5. In recent years Xmas Raffle Draw has been poorly attended. In 2015 the draw night will be combined with either a Race Night or a Quiz Night that will be scheduled to be held at a suitable time.

    6. New members are reminded that whilst not a condition of membership supporting the Tea Duty Rota is a small but very valuable contribution that they will be asked to make. Typically an individual member need only undertake one tea duty per year, although many devoted supporters undertake several each year.

    7. The committee emphasised that reserves should not leave when a match starts … even when all players have arrived. This is because a reserve may be called on to replace a bowler who is injured or unwell and unable to complete a match.


  1. External Communications

    1. None

  2. Treasurer's Report

    The current financial summary report was provided.

  3. Men's Captain's Report

    So far we have played 3 friendlies (Won 2 Lost 1). We have played 4 Catherine Wheeler matches (Won 2 Lost 2)

  4. Ladies's Captain's Report

    It was disappointing that we had to cancel the Kemsley Ladies match due to a lack of support. The ladies match against Cliftonville was played, and won, in a downpour.

  5. Social Sub-Committee Report

    Nothing To report

  6. Competition Secretary's Report

    The draw was made (only 10 members in attendance). Competition draw sheets have been put on the notice board. Please arrange and play matches early … do not wait for deadlines to approach.


A discussion of the handicapping procedure and individual handicap allocations concluded that the selection committee should meet and agree as a team the allocations for next year. It was acknowledged that however the allocations are made the outcome will always be contentious. Utilising the knowledge of the whole selection committee will at least ensure a consensus. The committee thanked Chris for the dedication and hard work that she put into supporting all of the club competitions.


  1. Secretary's Report

Nothing to report.

  1. Any Other Business

    1. Joyce Luke is recovering well after her hip replacement and is now once more managing the club bar. Joyce asked the committee to pass her thanks on to Len and Richard who managed the bar so well in her enforced absence. The committee added their own thanks to those of Joyce and welcomed her return to improved health and bar duties.

    2. Genny Piper expressed her surprise, pleasure and gratitude at being given Honorary Membership status

    3. The committee expressed thanks on behalf of the club to Zanda Bradley for the generous donation of numerous hand and power tools to the club. An official letter of thanks was sent.

    4. The committee agreed to the funding of a tow bar to be fitted to Ray Clay's car to enable his continued 'dump runs' that he regularly makes on our behalf. The committee thanked Ray for his continued support in this regard.


  1. Date of Next Management Committee Meeting. 7pm 15th June 2015

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Thanet Bowls Club


Minutes of Management Committee Meeting. Monday 29th June 2015. 6pm


Attendees:- S Smith;; R Knowles; R Williams; K Higham; C Fearn; L Davies; D Warner


Apologies for Absence:- G Piper; A Manby Invited Attendees:- M Robinson

The notes of the previous meeting were accepted.

  1. Action Log – Review Status of Existing Actions

    1. The action log was reviewed and updated to indicate completed actions and the status of those which are still underway.

  2. TBC Internal Communications / Matters Arising

    1. A discussion was held regarding various options to incorporate disabled facilities within the clubhouse. Suitable internal access, rather than requiring users to exit and re-enter, was agreed to be a priority consideration. The preferred option was to incorporate the facility into the men's changing area at the front of the building. The proposal would extend the mens changing facility towards the green by approximately 1.5m, and thus would only minimally reduce the length of the existing changing room. A revised drawing, (specific to this option), will be produced. The preliminary, (and thus very speculative), cost estimate is £12k. An application for charitable funding, (e.g. Sports England / Lottery Funding), will be explored to fund or part fund any agreed project. Plans will be agreed via the next AGM, (or if timing demands at a Special GM), to inform and secure approval from members prior to finalising any proposed project.


The Committee expressed their gratitude to Melvin for his technical assistance.


    1. A Special Selection Committee meeting was held recently to discuss the frustrations expressed by several members. The meeting was very useful to air concerns and to promote a mutually agreeable way forward. The meeting concluded that the written Selection Procedure was appropriate and should be adhered to. It was further agreed that earlier, communications could have avoided concerns escalating. A follow up meeting will be held in a month.

      There are almost as many views on team selection as there are members in our club. if you feel that selections are inappropriate please talk to your Captain or Vice-Captain. They are keen to hear and discuss your views and are best placed to address them.

The Selection Procedure is available for your information in your changing rooms along with a summary document that highlights the main elements.

    1. It was agreed that President's Day and Captain's Day were primarily opportunities for the club to say “Thank You” to these officers who devote so much time and energy to the smooth running of our club. With that in mind it was felt unfair to expect those we are thanking to fund, from their own pockets, the wine served at the buffets. In future the club will fund the celebrations in full. The fee for the Spider will be increased to £1.50 to, in part, offset the extra costs involved.

    2. In line with the options offered by most of the clubs we visit we shall in future offer Penguin, Club or similar chocolate biscuits in the biscuit selection during match intervals.

    3. Aerosols must not be disposed into the rubbish bin between the Kitchen and Bar. This rubbish is burnt creating a risk of explosion if aerosols are disposed to this route. This risk was highlighted when the maintenance team found a half full aerosol can of WD40 disposed in this manner and removed it from the fire.

    4. A set of mobile Access Steps has been purchased to facilitate safe access to the green. The steps are stored in the Pusher Shed, will be used for matches and are available for all members and visitors who require the help they provide at other times. The steps cost £180, a very competitive price as other manufacturers wanted £450 for very similar items.

    5. To enhance our existing security arrangements CCTV cameras have been installed at all four corners of the clubhouse, providing extensive visual and audible monitoring and recording. The cost of the CCTV System was £750

    6. The KCBA Doubles Semi Finals were held very successful with good comments on our Green. The Finals will be held tomorrow (30/6).

  1. External Communications

    1. None

  2. Treasurer's Report

    The current financial summary report was provided.

  3. Men's Captain's Report

    Nothing to report

  4. Ladies's Captain's Report

    TBC is currently holding the top position in the Ladies' League. All Ladies are encouraged to 'put their names down' for matches and to raise any concerns they may have regarding selection with selectors.

  5. Social Sub-Committee Report

    Nothing To report

  6. Competition Secretary's Report

    Nothing to report


  1. Secretary's Report

Nothing to report.

  1. Any Other Business

    1. Two large water butts will be purchased and used to collect rain water for watering the garden and save money on our water bill.

    2. After deliberation a decision was taken that in light of the commitment they already make club members who routinely undertake an Office Duty will be exempted from the list for tea duty.


  1. Date of Next Management Committee Meeting.

    11th August 6pm


+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Thanet Bowls Club


Minutes of Management Committee Meeting. Tuesday 11th August 2015. 6pm


Attendees:- S Smith; R Knowles; R Williams; K Higham; C Fearn; L Davies; D Warner: G Piper; A Manby.


Apologies for Absence:- None

The notes of the previous meeting were accepted.

  1. Action Log – Review Status of Existing Actions

    1. The action log was reviewed and updated to indicate completed actions and the status of those which are still underway.

  2. TBC Internal Communications / Matters Arising

    1. After further discussion the potential financial cost and the lack of financial benefit to the club, of pursuing an option for disabled toilet facilities, meant that the project was shelved

    2. The structure of the visitors cabin continues to deteriorate and has reached a stage that it is felt beyond economically viable repair. Quotes will be secured from local shed manufacturers to establish the likely cost of a suitable replacement facility.

    3. The mower is currently being maintained / repaired by our greenkeeper. Mower maintenance and repairs are potentially expensive and competitive quotes should be sought in future.

  3. External Communications

    1. Mike Higham will attend the IoTBA Council Meeting on 12/8. MH will offer the support of TBC for a proposal from Dane Park that the IoTBA season start one month later to avoid clashing with county matches. A proposal from St. Lawrence was incomprehensible and thus could not be supported. The Council will also be asked to explain why the IoTBA Finals Day is scheduled to be held at Birchington and not Thanet as dictated by traditional alphabetic progression (held at St. Lawrence last year).

  4. Treasurer's Report

    1. An apology has been received from HSBC who acknowledged that the bank was at fault in not initially processing a cheque relating to funds raised for the Pilgrims Hospice.

    2. A recent telephone bill was double the normal cost. An itemised bill wlll be sought to clarify the reasons. All members are reminded that the use of the club telephone should be restricted to call of an official club nature.

  5. Men's Captain's Report

    1. The men's teams continue to have mixed results in the Premier and Combination Leagues. Only a defeat at Sandwich prevented our Bernard Anand team securing a place on finals day. Good luck to the Jubilee Pairs teams who are in the semi-final.

    2. We have two Catherine Wheeler matches left and a good performance in the remaining games may result in an overall runner's up place.

  6. Ladies's Captain's Report

    1. The ladies league teams have played 12 matches of which they have won 8 lost only 4 and currently are in 2nd position.

  7. Social Sub-Committee Report

    In order to provide the time necessary for the purchase and preparation of food etc for meals, (at for example Captain's and President's day), all members are asked to ensure they add their names to the lists at least one week before the event is scheduled. To this end future notices will be posted with a closing date by which all names must be added.

  8. Competition Secretary's Report

    1. Competitions are progressing well. Consolation Cup draws are on the notice board.

    2. If possible members are asked to avoid booking Club Competition matches on a Tuesday morning when rinks are at a premium for roll ups.


  1. Secretaries Report

    9.1 The 2015 AGM will take place on Thursday 19th November starting at 7pm. Relevant documentation and information will be posted and distributed in a timely manner

  2. Any Other Business

    1. None


  1. Date of Next Management Committee Meeting.

    Monday 12th October 6pm.

********************************************************

Thanet Bowls Club


Minutes of Management Committee Meeting. Monday 12th Oct 2015. 6pm


Attendees:- S Smith; R Knowles; R Williams; C Fearn; L Davies; D Warner: G Piper; A Manby.


Invited Attendee:- Peter Britton (Representing the Maintenance Team).


Apologies for Absence:- K Higham

The notes of the previous meeting were accepted.

  1. Action Log – Review Status of Existing Actions

    1. The action log was reviewed and updated to indicate completed actions and the status of those which are still underway.

  2. TBC Internal Communications / Matters Arising

    1. Peter Britton attended the committee to request that it agreed to a standing invitation to a member of the maintenance team to attend the committee. It was readily agreed that the maintenance team could request to attend as and when they felt it of benefit to do so. It was similarly agreed that the committee would extend such an invitation when it wanted clarification on any maintenance issue. Peter also clarified to the committee that extensive repairs had been carried out to the Visiting Men's Changing hut which was now in a perfectly adequate condition.

    2. AGM preparations were discussed and are on schedule. Members notices will be sent by email and placed in the clubhouse for collection this week. The AGM will take place on the 19th November 2015.

    3. TBC Constitution revisions were reviewed and agreed. A copy of the revised constitution (with revisions highlighted) will be included in the AGM notification email and will also be posted on the noticeboard in the clubhouse. Members are asked to review the revisions prior to the AGM in order that they may approve the revision as modified for 2016 at the AGM.

    4. A suggestion that the club should reinstate an annual Charity Match (previously supported but stopped in recent years) was declined. The majority of the committee preferred to promote a Fun Day with any profits benefitting the club.


  1. External Communications

    Mike Higham will be on holiday when the IOTBA AGM takes place. Rob Knowles agreed to act as the TBC representative at the meeting in Mike's absence.

  2. Treasurer's Report

    1. The summary financial report was submitted to the Committee

    2. BT were challenged regarding vaguely threatening calls received both at the club and by various club representatives saying that they were going to cut our phone line off immediately in the absence of payment to them. BT have since deceased and acknowledged their fault.

    3. The FULL membership fee of £100 has been held for the last 6 years. In order to maintain club funds going forwards a small increase is felt necessary. An increase to £105 for annual full membership will be proposed at the AGM.

    4. The club subsidy (pays away green fee in excess of £2.50 per player) will be maintained for 2016.

  3. Men's Captain's Report

      Special mention was given to our representatives in the Jubilee Pairs. Trevor Joss & Bob Norman and John Anniss & Paul Regan played an excellent game in the finals and were leading right up until the very last bowl was played. Well done guys!

  4. Ladies's Captain's Report

    The Ladies team performed excellently in the Ladies League coming a very close 2nd to Birchington. Well done Ladies!!

    The friendly matches however were very poorly supported in 2015. Of the 10 friendly matches scheduled 7 were cancelled, 4 by TBC Ladies & 3 by the opposition. Consideration may be given to converting ladies friendlies to mixed triples if support does not improve.

  5. Social Sub-Committee Report

    A new cash register is to be purchased for the bar. The new cash register will be more intuitive to use and will be more readily, and more cheaply, updated.

    It was unanimously agreed that the cost of many drinks available from the bar whilst appealing to purchasers, were unsustainably low and in need of revision to a sensibly competitive level, whilst remaining good value. As bar manager Joyce Luke was charged with reviewing and appropriately revising the tariffs.

  6. Competition Secretary's Report

      Chris Fearn is not putting her name forward for this position in 2016. Chris was thanked by the committee for the hard work and dedication she has given to this role for many years.


  1. Secretaries Report

    The AGM preparations are on schedule.

  2. Any Other Business

    1. There was a discussion regarding the presentation dinner venue. Should the Club host the dinner in house?? The AGM will be asked to provide feedback to the committee to aid this decision for 2016.

    2. The TBC Lottery has been increasingly poorly supported and will not therefore be continued.


  1. Date of Next Management Committee Meeting.

    Monday 12th October 6pm.

**********************************************************************************************************

TBC Management Committee Meeting


Monday 11th January 2016 at 7pm


Attendees:- S Smith; R Knowles; R Williams; J Brown; L Davis; G Piper; D Robinson; J Luke


Invited Attendee:- None


Apologies for Absence:- No Absentees


The notes of the previous meeting were accepted


  1. Review of Action Log

    1. The action log was reviewed and updated to indicate completed actions and the status of those still underway.

  2. TBC Internal Communications / Matters Arising

    1. Issues Raised at AGM

      1. Charity Match Format. As agreed at the AGM the annual charity match will be reinstated. The format of the match has still to be agreed although it was provisionally agreed that the match would be held on Saturday the 11th June. It was further agreed that the Pilgrim's Hospice will be the charity that TBC will support in 2016.

      2. Disabled Toilet Facility. The development of a disabled toilet facility was raised at the AGM where it was agreed that the committee would revisit options. In particular the committee was asked to review the option to develop a disabled facility within the existing toilet facilities. At the AGM anyone with any objection was asked to inform a committee member prior to this meeting. No objections were received.

        For practical and financial reasons the committee concluded that modification of the Ladies' Changing/Toilet facilities was preferred to altering the the Men's facilities. The Maintenance Team will cost the modification for the committee's consideration. The proposed modification will involve the removal of the wash basin closest to the toilet cubicle and the modification of the first toilet cubicle to make it suitable for disabled persons.

      3. Match Board. At the AGM it was suggested that we make a large match board that would be visible from Montefiore Avenue with a view to announcing matches. This would serve a dual purpose to welcome visitors and raise greater awareness locally of the club and the matches we play. A council representative will be contacted to secure agreement to combine this approach with revising the existing … large but unhelpful … “Montefiore Games Centre” sign.

    2. Review of Selection Procedure prior to 2016 Season.

      1. Several insertions to the “Principles” section were agreed. The insertions serve to commit in writing to principles that the selection committee already endeavour to adhere to. The purpose of adding them in writing is to highlight the importance placed on these factors by our members and thus to elevate the rigidity with which they are applied.

      • Add - No member will be asked to be reserve more than twice per season.

      • Add - Where beneficial to the overall team structure of a friendly triples team an experienced bowler may be selected to bowl alongside 2 teammates.

      • Add – Those bowlers who participate in away matches outside of Thanet, (i.e. those involving greater travelling), will be prioritised for selection over bowlers who chose not to travel, for the corresponding home fixture.

    1. Memorial Shield.

        A proposed Memorial Shield Competition format was agreed. The Memorial Shield match will be held on Sat 23rd and Sat 30th April. A “Round Robin” group format on the 1st Saturday will give all participants a minimum of 3 one hour singles matches and will generate 16 finalists to participate in a knockout competition on the 2nd Saturday. All will become clear or you can get further details from Dave Robinson.

  1. External Communications

      None.

  2. Treasurer's Report

      A summary financial position was provided to the committee. As reported at the AGM club funds fell over the period of the 2015 season. Whilst not dramatic, continued shortfalls in income relative to expenditure, cannot be sustained in the long term and consequently an increase to the membership fees was agreed. For 2016 the fee payable for Social Membership will increase by £3 and the fee payable for a Season Ticket to Play will increase by £2. The overall impact on 2016 fees is as indicated in the table below.


Social

Season Ticket to Play

Total Fee payable for

Full Membership

Current Fees

£12.00

£88.00

£100.00

2016 Fees

£15.00

£90.00

£105.00


      A series of calls from BT threatening to 'cut us off', after we took our business elsewhere for a more competitive rate, have ceased following robust feedback from our Treasurer.

  1. Men's Captain's Report

      Nothing to Report

  2. Ladies's Captain's Report

      Nothing to Report.

  3. Social Sub-Committee Report

    The Club Xmas Party was well attended and enjoyed. The date of the Xmas Party in 2016 was agreed to be Saturday the 17th December.

  4. Competition Secretary's Report

    Nothing to Report.


  1. Secretaries Report

      The AGM was very well attended with 60% of the playing members in attendance (54 of 89 full members). Many issues were agreed with a few actions generated and captured in this meetings agenda. The votes cast, in particular for 2 of the positions, were very very close and could only be confirmed following a recount.

      With that in mind I want to stress the importance of the proxy votes. There were only 5 proxy votes received from the 35 members not in attendance. The 5 proxy votes may have decided the outcomes of the two close votes. I strongly recommend that members who are unable to attend use their proxy voting option. As this years results demonstrate to do so can be most influential in ensuring that voting outcomes are as representative as possible of members wishes.

  2. Any Other Business

    1. The lack of a TBC Facebook page, (apparently almost all of the Bowls Clubs in Thanet have Facebook pages), was raised as an issue. It was agreed that as communication methods develop it is important that TBC maintains pace to take advantage of the opportunities they present to generate awareness of our club in oaryicular amongst younger players.

    2. Manor House will no longer play the traditional Ladies Friendly match due to limited ladies available to them to fulfil this commitment. Len will contact them regarding the option of continuing in a mixed format.

    3. The Gateway Club (Dover) will be contacted with a view to arranging a biennial friendly match.

    4. The Opening Day Drive will take place on Saturday the16th April.

    5. The following dates were agreed. Presidents Day - 6th August; Captain's Day - 27th August; Finals Weekend 10th/11th September.

    6. Green Fees for 2016 will not be increased. Members bowling away from home will pay £2.50 in Green Fees with the club paying the rest. The home Green Fee will remain £1.

    7. Bowlers who book evening matches are reminded that Office Duty finishes at 6pm. For evening matches therefore they must ensure that adequate arrangements are in place for the club to remain open and be securely closed at it's conclusion.

    8. Members who have contacts with organisations that may be interested in advertising their products or services around the green should inform the committee.

  3. Date of Next Management Committee Meeting.

    22nd Feb 10.00

*******************************************************

TBC Management Committee Meeting


Monday 22nd February 2016 at 10am


Attendees:- S Smith; R Knowles; R Williams; L Davis; D Robinson; J Luke


Invited Attendee:- D Warner.


Apologies for Absence:- G Piper; J Brown.


The notes of the previous meeting were accepted


  1. Review of Action Log

    1. The action log was reviewed and updated to indicate completed actions and the status of those still underway.

  2. TBC Internal Communications / Matters Arising

    1. The following Catering related matters were agreed.

      1. A new oven will be purchased to replace the existing faulty oven.

      2. The cost of Full Teas will remain at £3.50. In response to feedback options to vary the food provided will be pursued.

      3. There will be a BBQ for the Charity event to be held in June

      4. The singing duo from the 2015 Xmas function have been rebooked for 2016

    2. Disabled Toilet Facilities – The Maintenance team have indicated that they are unable to undertake this work due to health and safety concerns. The cost of paying to have this conversion done professionally was considered far beyond anything the club could reasonably expend. Options for a grant will be reviewed.

    3. Signing On Time/Date will be Monday 21st March 2016 starting at 6pm.

    4. At the last meeting it was agreed that no member will serve as a reserve more than twice in a single season. Following on from that discussion the Reserve role has been further clarified. A Reserve may be called on to play at the beginning of the match if a selected bowler does not turn up, or to substitute for a teammate who is taken ill or suffers injury during a match. For this reason the reserve must stay until the end of the match.

    5. The handicap procedure will be altered to avoid the excessively long games that arise when the 'old' handicap procedure is applied. In the new system the lower handicap is deducted from the higher to establish the difference in the two handicaps. The difference is simply added to 21 to indicate the score required by the higher handicapped bowler. The lower handicapped player will always play to 21. Thus as an example If player A has a handicap of 6 and B has a handicap of 4. The difference is 2 so player A needs to score 23 (21+2) and player B needs 21.

    6. The format for a new Memorial Shield competition has been devised. The competition will honour our past members and will be an annual event. Competitors will be drawn into groups of four and will play a mini-league competition within their allocated group on the first of two Saturdays. The winners of each group and the most successful runners up will take part in a 16 bowler straight knockout competition on the second Saturday to determine the winner. Competition Secretary Dave Robinson will be there to clarify the format on the signing on night.

    7. A suggestion that we add £1 to everyones membership, fee to develop a memorial fund was discussed. The committee applauded the sentiment but felt that the decision to donate to charity or purchase flowers etc., when a fellow bowler passes away was a personal decision rather than one the club should be taking on behalf of it's members.

    8. The Office Duty Rota will be posted on the noticeboard shortly. As in past years there are a number of sessions that are as yet not covered. If you are able to assist please let me know.

  3. External Communications

    1. Ramsgate Open Tournament Details have been supplied of this years Ramsgate Open and these are displayed on the Club Noticeboard

    2. The IOTBA meeting will be held on Wed 24th Feb. at 7pm Venue TIBC.

  4. Treasurer's Report

      Nothing to Report

  5. Men's Captain's Report

      Nothing to Report

  6. Ladies's Captain's Report

      Nothing to Report.

  7. Social Sub-Committee Report

    Nothing to Report

  8. Competition Secretary's Report

    Nothing to Report.

  1. Secretaries Report

    Nothing to Report

  2. Any Other Business

    1. A Summer Ball will be held in late July, (exact date to be determined). Further details will be communicated by the Social Committee when available.

    2. The option of a friendly match with the Ramsgate Croquet Club will be explored. The outline plan is to play a game of Croquet at the Ramsgate venue and a game of Bowls at TBC on another day. Each match will comprise teams selected equally from both disciplines.

    3. Richard Williams and Rob Knowles have agreed to be the two TBC representatives to the Catherine Wheeler League.

  3. Date of Next Management Committee Meeting.

    Monday 4th April 2016

**************************************************************

TBC Management Committee Meeting


Monday 4nd April 2016 at 10am


Attendees:- S Smith; R Williams; L Davis; D Robinson; J Luke; G Piper


Invited Attendee:- Linda Zambrana


Apologies for Absence:- R Knowles; J Brown.


The notes of the previous meeting were accepted


  1. Review of Action Log

    1. The action log was reviewed and updated to indicate completed actions and the status of those still underway.

  2. TBC Internal Communications / Matters Arising

    1. The committee wish to express their gratitude to Doreen Warner for the dedication and commitment she has shown to the club for many years in her role as Catering manager. Following Doreen's resignation the committee approached Linda Zambrana who was the second placed candidate when voting took place at the recent AGM and who has kindly agreed to undertake this role in 2016. Geraldine Davis offered her assistance to Linda as she adopts this demanding role.

    2. The meeting to agree 2016 handicaps will take place in May prior to the Competition Draw meeting. The role of agreeing the handicaps this year will be adopted jointly by the Competition Secretary together with the Captains and Vice Captains. In this way it is hoped that handicaps will be as representative as they reasonably can be of players individual abilities.

    3. The Competition Draw meeting has been deferred, (from 15/4), to the 18th of May at 6pm, as indicated in the Club Yearbook, so as to avoid those who rejoin shortly after the opening day being denied entry. Only the Memorial Shield draw will take place on the 15th April and please note that this will now not be a 'public' draw.

    4. The purchase of a new microwave to replace the old faulty one was agreed.

  3. External Communications

    1. The Draw for the 2016 Men's County Matches has been made available on the KCBA Website and may be accessed via the following link. KCBA Division 4 Mens Draw

    2. Rob Knowles attended the IoTBA Meeting from which there was minimal information to report back. a) All matches have been confirmed. b) The IoTBA representative is to call results through to Bob Waters after a match.

  4. Treasurer's Report

          Buildings Insurance has been paid for 2016 at £140. Also we have paid our 'Rates' of £795. It was noted that as a “Community Sports Club” our rates have been reduced to approx. 20% of the rates that would otherwise apply. It remains important that throughout 2016 we maintain a keen awareness of all expenditures and income as whilst our bank balance is reasonably healthy the overall deficit that has reduced our bank balance in recent years is not sustainable over the longer term.

  5. Men's Captain's Report

      Nothing to Report

  6. Ladies's Captain's Report

      Nothing to Report.

  7. Social Sub-Committee Report

      Nothing to Report.

  8. Competition Secretary's Report

    Nothing to Report.

  1. Secretaries Report

    The Signing On night was very successful with 65 members signed on by the end of the evening a significantly elevated figure by comparison to previous years. The number of members enjoying a drink and an enjoyable social get together over the course of the evening was good to see and bodes well for the new season.

  2. Any Other Business

    1. None

  3. Date of Next Management Committee Meeting.

    Monday 23rd May 2016 at 12.00

********************************************************

Thanet Bowls Club


Minutes of Management Committee Meeting. Date 26/7/16 12.00


Attendees:- S Smith; R Knowles; R Williams; G Davis; L Davis; G Piper; J Luke


Invited Attendee:- None


Apologies for Absence:- D Robinson; L Zambrana

The notes of the previous meeting were accepted.

  1. Action Log – Review Status of Existing Actions

    1. The action log was reviewed and updated to indicate completed actions and the status of those which are still underway.

  2. TBC Internal Communications / Matters Arising

    1. Only 4 of 10 sets of bowls that were stamped TBC now remain at the clubhouse. If you have borrowed club bowls please return them. A key cupboard will be purchased to increase security over the keys that are currently easily accessible to all and which provide access to the office/store area. Access to the keys will be restricted to Office Duty and other key, (no pun intended), persons.

    2. There is an excess of size 5 and 6 bowls that are never used and take up unnecessary storage space. These will be disposed.

    3. Throughout this season we have struggled to secure enough names on match lists. A number of possible reasons were discussed but none could be pinpointed as the root cause. Your committee would like to stress that your support in these matches is essential for the club's continued participation in competitive bowls...league or friendly.

      Please support your club by adding your name to matches that you are eligible to play in, friendly, ladies and mens matches all need your support and your participation will be very, very welcome. Some bowlers have expressed a concern that they have insufficient experience to participate competitively. The selectors would like to reassure you that every effort is made to ensure that a less experienced bowler is given the support of more experienced team members. We were all inexperienced once … we only gain experience, and with it confidence, by taking part.

    4. A draft Health and Safety Policy was reviewed in brief and will be completed prior to the AGM when members will be informed in appropriate detail.

    5. The option to procure wheelie bins from TDC, to make waste disposal easier, has been pursued previously and found to be too expensive to adopt. Instead members who have spare capacity in their home wheely bins have volunteered to collect waste bags from the club and will dispose them along with their household waste

    6. New toilet seats will be purchased to replace the 'tired' ones which have seen better days and sights that none of us care to envisage!!!

  1. External Communications

    1. Dane Park are entering into discussions with TDC in an attempt to reduce the cost of their annual lease / insurance. TBC will provide them details of our lease and seek feedback on their discussions.

  2. Treasurer's Report

    1. An update was provided to the committee clarifying the current fiscal state of the club.

  3. Men's Captain's Report

    1. So far we have won 6 of 7 Catherine Wheeler matches. Mixed results in both the Premier and Combination Leagues

  4. Ladies's Captain's Report

    1. Currently TBC Ladies are 2nd in the Ladies League. Geraldine expressed her concern at the difficulty in securing sufficient names for Ladies' games and wishes to encourage all lady bowlers to please put their names down for matches.

  5. Social Sub-Committee Report

    1. Quiz Night will be, (by the time you read these minutes probably was), held on the 29th July. This will be the first 'in season' quiz night and depending on it's success may be repeated in future.

  6. Competition Secretary's Report

    1. The Consolation Cup Draw has been made and posted on the noticeboard.

  1. Secretaries Report

    1. Nothing to report.

  2. Any Other Business

    1. There will be an extra match in 2017 as we have been asked to host the Kent County Patrons Bowling Association. Such matches are sought after and it is considered an honour to host them. The preliminary date is Wednesday 23rd Aug 2017. 6 Mens Triples

    2. Rob will discuss the price of ITBA Full Teas for matches at next weeks ITBA meeting. The current £3.50 is sufficient for a basic salad/sweet option but would not fund anything more adventurous. As the cost is agreed centrally it will be decided at the ITBA meeting not in discussion with individual hosting clubs.

    3. From 2017 we shall alter the dates for both the Captains and Presidents Day to include both in September when there will be fewer competing fixtures.

  1. Date of Next Management Committee Meeting.

    Next Meeting Thurs Aug 25th 12 noon

************************************************************************

Thanet Bowls Club


Minutes of Management Committee Meeting. Date 30/8/16 14.00


Attendees:- S Smith; R Williams; G Davis; L Davis; G Piper; J Luke; D Robinson; L Zambrana


Invited Attendee:- G Wood


Apologies for Absence:- R Knowles


The notes of the previous meeting were accepted.

  1. Action Log – Review Status of Existing Actions

      The action log was reviewed and updated to indicate completed actions and the status of those which are still underway.

  2. TBC Internal Communications / Matters Arising

    1. The 2016 AGM will take place on the 22nd of November at 7pm. AGM notices, letters and nomination posters are being prepared and notices will be posted at the beginning of September

    2. This years Presentation Dinner will be held at the Indoor Bowls Club and is being scheduled for a Friday in November. Date to be notified as soon as available via email and clubhouse noticeboard.

    3. We are approaching ITBA to discuss the lack of green fees allowed when providing a neutral rink for semi final matches. The frequency with which TBC rink is selected is disproportionately high reflecting the quality of our green. We will propose that either the bowlers or the ITBA should pay at least a nominal green fee.

    4. The Revision to our Selection Procedure, that was instigated last year, indicating that 'no bowler will be asked to be reserve more then twice' will be removed as it has been established that in practice it is simply not viable unless significantly more bowlers make themselves available for selection.

    5. The committee discussed the situation that persisted throughout the 2016 season whereby the number of members available for the men's evening leagues made selection particularly difficult and often resulted in our teams, most particularly in the Premier League, being 'under par'. A decision must be made regarding the clubs entries next year. A meeting of bowlers who participate will be called to discuss and agree which men's evening leagues we enter.

    6. Prostate Cancer UK has been selected as the charity that will receive our support throughout 2017

    7. This years Xmas Function will be held on the 17th December.

    8. Two Suggestions from Jo Clark were considered by the committee

        • Roll Ups for bowlers who have difficulty playing for 2 hours, or in reaching a long jack. Jo will organise and trial an option for bowlers who wish to participate in a short length jack, 1 hour duration roll up throughout September. Jo will provide further details imminently, or may be approached in person for more information.

        • Practice equipment in the form of a flat jack, (a flat jack that is sprung to fold down and flip back up), was thought too expensive for the limited benefit it would provide in practice.


  1. External Communications

    1. KCBA (Men's Section) Competitions will be posted on the Club Noticeboard. 2 new competitions have been introduced for 2017. An Under 25's Pairs and a Seniors (55+) Rinks competition.

  2. Treasurer's Report

      Nothing To Report

  3. Men's Captain's Report

      Recent results have been mixed. Richard thanked members for their excellent support at both the President's and Captains Day's and the Maintenance Team for the hard work that they do behind the scenes every week of the year.

  4. Ladies's Captain's Report

    Geraldine thanked members for their excellent support at Captains Day's. The Ladies are currently 2nd in the Ladies League … Go Ladies!!!

  5. Social Sub-Committee Report

    Tickets for the Xmas Raffle will soon be available. Tickets will be charged at 50p each this year. This increase from 25p is designed simply to halve the number of times members, who typically buy multiple tickets, need to write their name on the chart.

  6. Competition Secretary's Report

    The Club comps are going well with only a few games to go. The finals will be held over the weekend of the 10th and 11th September. The schedule will be devised and made available ASAP.

  7. Secretaries Report

    AGM preparations are well under way. The AGM this year will be held on the 22nd November.

  8. Any Other Business

    1. All members are reminded that Waitrose discs may be used to support TBC throughout September. Whenever you shop in Waitrose in September you will receive a disc, (even if you only buy a newspaper – if not offered a disc please ask for one). These discs may then be placed into one of the three Local Good Cause Bins. Waitrose have also made £75 donation towards our costs for finals day. Thank You Waitrose!

  9. Date of Next Meeting.

    To Be Agreed

Make a free website with Yola